Thursday, September 27, 2012

Whispanic

Whispanic : noun : [wi-span-ik]

Definition: Any white person speaks spanish fluently but cannot claim significant hispanic heritage.

     Half-hispanic people that look pretty white aren't whispanic.  Nor are quarter-hispanic or maybe even a generation or so beyond that.  I'm talking about straight up white people speaking spanish.  Like my brother and I.  We're mostly descended from Northern European nations.  Norway, Holland, places like that.  Yet we speak spanish.  We're whispanic.  Now that I think about it, I know way too many whispanic people.  Woah.  But hey, it's fun.  Me encanta hablar español.  Si eres whispanic también, bienvenidos a la fiesta.
     My favorite part about being whispanic?  Being able to understand the spanish spoken around you, especially when they're saying something in spanish so that I can't understand them.  It mostly happens at stores and stuff, but I just love it.  And the shock on latinos faces when you talk to them in spanish.  It can be pretty priceless.  If you're whispanic too, comment below and tell us what you love about being whispanic, or really being any sort of bilingual.  We'd love to hear what you have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment